April 7, 2010

Week Twelve: Screencasting

It took me a while to come up with something to create a screencast over. I don't have to assist my patrons very often with navigating a website. Although, I do spend alot of time assiting juvenile patrons with typing in gaming website addresses, lol. After some brainstorming, and some assistance from some fellow librarians, I decided to do my screencast on "Living Social's Visual Bookshelf". I use "Visual Bookshelf" quite a bit, I even introduced my director to it, and she has been using it for our branch. Well anyway, here is a screencast on how to navigate "Living Social's Visual Bookshelf".

So screencasting...wonderful concept. There are so many times people have tried to verbally walk me through a website, or even tried to write down instructions, and it's just confusing. I think screencasting could be used in our area of work, and alot of other fields as well, for all kinds of things, the possibilities are endless. It would definitely allow our patrons to be more independent, and more confident in trying things out on their own. Although, it does kind of take away from our social aspect as librarians, the personal interaction with our patrons. But, for the most part I think screencasting is a very positive and helpful program. Not sure how often I, personally will use it, but I definitely think it could be used in our branch.
This weeks lesson may have been a little more time consuming, but I really enjoyed it, and learned alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment